Call for a Free Consultation
click for free consultation

Who Pays After a Colorado Springs Hit and Run Accident?

silver compact car with scraped side after an accident | Who Pays After a Colorado Springs Hit and Run AccidentA hit-and-run accident in Colorado is when someone hits another vehicle, person, or animal with their car, drives away without stopping to lend aid, and then leaves the scene of an accident. Hit-and-run accidents in Colorado are illegal.

If you are involved in an accident on the road (whether as driver or pedestrian) but another person leaves the scene quickly — you may be dealing with a hit-and-run accident.  In Colorado, “hit-and-run” is an offense under CRS 42-4-1601. It basically means failing to stop at the scene of an accident you were involved in where another person was injured — or even killed (if such an event happened as a result of your actions).

What happens if you are injured in a hit-and-run accident in Colorado Springs? Who will pay for your damages and medical expenses?

Colorado is an “at-fault” state. This means that the person responsible for your accident is also responsible for paying damages. However, in a hit-and-run accident, that person might not be found. 

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, there are some things you can do to help the police track down the hit-and-run driver. Write down any information about the other car including the make, model, color, license plate number, etc. 

Contact the police immediately and let them know that you were involved in a hit-and-run accident. They will then come to the scene of the crash and create an accident report. They can then start looking for the at-fault driver. 

If the at-fault driver is not found, however, then you will need to turn to your own insurance policy to pay for damages. If you carry uninsured motorist coverage, then you can file a claim with your policy and collect damages up to your policy limits. 

It is important to know, however, that when dealing with your own insurance company after a hit-and-run accident, they may still try to lowball you. As such, if you suffered injuries and damages in a hit-and-run accident, it is important to contact an experienced Colorado Springs injury attorney immediately. Your attorney can work with your insurance companies to help you collect the compensation you need. If the at-fault driver is located, your attorney can then file the necessary claims seeking damages. 

Contact Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Law Firm Today

Greg Green of the Green Law Firm, P.C. YouTube ThumbnailDid you or someone you love get injured in an accident in Colorado Springs? Is the insurance company giving you the runaround? If so, we can be there to help! Contact the Green Law Firm, P.C. today by calling (719) 694-8515, or by filling out the contact form on this page, to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation and discuss your case.