KRDO Newschannel 13 released a special report earlier this month, where they identified the most dangerous intersections in Colorado Springs.
The Colorado Springs Police Department provided KRDO with a list of the city intersections that had the largest numbers of motor vehicle accidents for the year 2020. This data included the number of accidents that resulted in a fatality or injury of any kind, along with the number of total accidents, including those crashes that did not occur directly at the intersection, but close enough that the intersection included the nearest cross street.
2020 was chosen specifically, because El Paso County had the largest number of traffic accident fatalities of all Colorado counties last year. In fact, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation, El Paso County had 84 traffic fatalities last year, 51 of which took place just in Colorado Springs.
Most of the worst intersections in the city, are located close to Interstate 25, with the top three being:
- Interstate 25 and South Nevada Avenue/ South Tejon Street, with 68 total crashes, nine crashes that resulted in injuries and one accident that resulted in a fatality.
- Interstate 25 and West Garden of the Gods Road, with 59 total crashes, seven crashes that resulted in injuries and one accident that resulted in a fatality.
- Interstate 25 and Lake Avenue/ South Circle Drive, with 59 total crashes, seven crashes that resulted in injuries and one accident that resulted in a fatality.
Because the proximity to the interstate makes it unclear whether the crashes counted actually occurred on the freeway or at the intersection underneath an overpass, KRDO’s report also identified other dangerous intersections in Colorado Springs, that aren’t close to the interstate.
The three worst intersection, not in proximity to the interstate, were:
- North Powers Boulevard and Stetson Hills Boulevard, where there were 47 motor vehicle crashes in 2020, one of which resulted in an injury;
- South Academy Boulevard and East Fountain Boulevard, where there were 40 motor vehicle crashes in 2020, one of which resulted in two fatalities;
- South Academy Boulevard and Airport Road, where there were 38 motor vehicle crashes in 2020, four of which resulted in injury.
Making these intersections safer for everyone, is going to be a job that requires everyone to do their part. It’s not just more drivers refusing to engage in dangerous driving behaviors, such as speeding and distracted driving, that will help improve safety, pedestrians need to do their parts as well, and ensure their own safety.
KRDO reported that, during their investigation into these dangerous intersections, while on the scene at one of them, they noticed multiple pedestrians not taking proper precautions, and crossing against the light.
So be careful out there, the life you save may just be your own.
Related Reading: Tips for Safe Winter Driving
Contact Our Colorado Springs Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today
Have you or a loved one been injured by the negligent actions of a driver? Are you concerned you won’t have the money to pay medical bills and lost expenses? If so, you need an experienced Colorado Springs attorney on your side to help you fight for justice.
Contact the dedicated attorneys at the Green Law Firm, P.C. today by calling (719) 694-8515, or by filling out the contact form on this page, to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation and discuss your case.