Is Your Child At Risk For Suffering a Fatal Injury in a Car Accident?

Since 1975, car safety features have improved greatly. Those safety features, coupled with improvements in car seats and booster seats, have resulted in a steady decline in child motor vehicle fatalities. Unfortunately, car accidents still cause 1 out of every 4 unintentional injury deaths in children under the age of 13. In fact, car accidents are STILL the leading cause of death among children. 

According to the IIHS, 73 percent of child motor vehicle crash deaths in 2019 were passenger vehicle occupants. The other 27 percent of child crash deaths were pedestrian and bicycling accidents. In 2019, child passenger vehicle fatalities were 56 percent lower than in 1975. This shows how effective child restraints and motor vehicle safety advancements have been in keeping children safe from fatal injuries. 

Colorado’s Child Restraint Laws

In 2018, 636 children under the age of 12 died in car accidents. An additional 97,000 suffered serious injuries. Sadly, 33 percent of the children who died in those accidents were not buckled up at the time of the crash. 

Properly restraining your child when they are riding as a passenger is the best way to protect them from harm. According to studies, unrestrained children are more likely to suffer fatal injuries in a crash. Putting your child in a car seat, booster seat, or adult seat belt is important and can reduce their chances of dying in a car accident. 

All 50 states, including Colorado, have child restraint laws in place. Following these laws is the first step towards keeping your child from suffering a serious injury in a car accident. 

In Colorado, child restraint laws went into effect in 1987, however, there is no primary enforcement of these laws. According to the IIHS, Colorado’s child restraint laws include:

  • Children younger than 1 and less than 20 pounds must ride in a rear-facing car seat
  • Children between the ages of 1 and 3 and 20-40 pounds must be in a child seat
  • Children between the ages of 4 and 7 must ride in a booster seat
  • Seat belts must be worn for children between the ages of 8 and 15

It is recommended that all children ride in the rear of the vehicle at all times. The front seat is dangerous, even with airbags turned off. In fact, 14 percent of the passenger vehicle child deaths in 2019 occurred in front seats. 

Getting Help With Your Child Seat in Colorado Springs

Unfortunately, car seats only work well if they are installed properly. Improperly secured car seats can actually cause more harm during an accident. Parents who are unsure if their car seats are installed correctly can get help by taking them to specific locations that specialize in proper car seat installation. 

In Colorado Springs, you can find car seat technicians in your area that are available by appointment. To find someone close to you, visit http://cert.safekids.org. Safe Kids Colorado Springs offers a car seat checkup event every 3rd Tuesday of each month, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. at 3737 Airport Rd. Appointments are required by calling (719) 305-7233, or you can visit www.Facebook.com/safekidsColoradoSprings 

Contact Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorneys Today

Greg Green of the Green Law Firm, P.C. sitting on a white porch while wearing a gray suit coatWas your child was injured in a car accident in Colorado Springs, or anywhere in the state of Colorado, you need a law firm on your side from the start. At the Green Law Firm, P.C., we are here to help you obtain the money you need to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. We know the tactics insurance companies use to reduce injured accident victims’ settlements, and we fight back aggressively. 

Contact the Green Law Firm, P.C. today by calling (719) 694-8515, or by filling out the contact form on this page, to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation and discuss your case.

The Green Law Firm P.C
We’re here to help you find answers to your questions. Personal injury claims can be complicated, but our attorneys are on hand to help make sure you're informed of what your legal options are. We take great pride in putting our experience to work for our clients, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Address
The Green Law Firm, P.C.
1011 N Weber St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone
Office:
(719) 694-8515
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.