Make no mistake: drivers who focus on the task of driving have significantly lower chances of getting into a car accident. Distractions are deadly and can cause serious and fatal accidents in the blink of an eye. Some of the most serious distractions we face while driving are cellphones. In fact, drivers using cellphones to text, surf the Internet, or engage on social media are two to eight times more likely to be involved in a crash, according to a new study looking at the correlation between cell phone use and car accident risk, published by the American Automobile Association. When it comes to talking on the phone, drivers are 4x more likely to be involved in an accident – even when they’re using hands-free devices.
In 2016, there were an estimated 40 distracted driving accidents per day, resulting in over 57,000 crashes that year. By all preliminary accounts, 2017 was an even deadlier year. According to the Colorado Department of Transportation, over 600 people died on Colorado roads in 2017 alone. This marks the deadliest year for traffic fatalities since 2008. Sadly, many of those fatal accidents were the result of a distracted driver. In fact, distraction is a factor in 10% of all fatal accidents and 18% of all injury crashes.
Further Reading: KNEE INJURIES AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
Reduce Your Risk of Getting into an Accident
While you can’t prevent every accident from happening, there are ways you can reduce your chances of getting into a serious car accident. Before you head out, consider the following safety tips:
- Put your phone out of reach, like in a glove box or trunk
- Place your phone in airplane mode to reduce the distractions
- Make a pledge never to text and drive
- If you must answer a text, pull over safely in a well lit area and away from the flow of traffic
- Insist that your teens don’t drive with their phones
- Install safe driving apps that can turn off your phone when motion is detected
- Turn on voice GPS to avoid having to look at directions
- Tell your friends and family members you will no longer use your phone while driving
- Plan to arrive early at your destination so you have time to check messages and respond
While cellphones certainly aren’t the only distractions we face while driving, they are a big reason why motor vehicle fatalities are on the rise.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Lawyers
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in Colorado Springs, or anywhere in the state of Colorado, you need help immediately. Contact the experienced Colorado Springs car accident attorneys at the Green Law Firm today to schedule a no-obligation consultation and discuss your case. Call us today at 1-719-694-8515.